Monday 10 July 2017

Batted ball analysis - UPDATE

I had quite some feedback about the batted ball dashboard which mainly resulted in discussions about using the "cricket style rope" for ballpark dimensions, basically ignoring the wall in outfield.
As it was hard to disagree with that this reduced the relevance significantly I did some more work to add the wall heights when guesstimating if a batted ball would have been a HR in another park.
Basically I calculated the height of the batted ball at the wall distance and compared the two. This still has some major caveats, as I use general ballpark dimensions, general wall heights, and my calculation of ball height at distance X is a rough estimation*. But the first result are promising in parks like Fenway, so I feel like I'm on the right track.

The dashboard has been updated: https://public.tableau.com/profile/rj7974#!/vizhome/MLBBattedBallAnalysis2017/BattedBallsDashboard

*

No comments:

Post a Comment