Wednesday 15 March 2017

How did I draft, compared to average values?

I recently did a couple of Drafts on Ottoneu, and I was curious to see how I did. I compared drafted salaries in League 719 to the Ottoneu average values for FanGraphs Points, and quickly put it into a Tableau Dashboard:


Unfortunately I did not do too well, at least compared to the average FGPTS values in other Ottoneu leagues. It was my first Ottoneu draft for a new league (so no keepers) and although I did quite some preparation, things didn't go as planned. For example I had no desire to go for Gary Sanchez, as I expect some major regression, but I still ended up with him for $30 (max. on Ottoneu is $36, but average is only $12; I assume that includes keepers from leagues where people picked him up for a few bucks when he just came up.)

Although I didn't too well (I paid $79 for players above average values, and only $34 for players below average values for a net loss of $45) but at least I wasn't the only one in my league. Also comparing to Ottoneu averages only gives some insight, and I definitely don't draw too strong of a conclusion from it. Also the data has some flaws, or at least things to be aware of, for example Smoak'd Goude has the biggest net profit ($83) but that includes $11 for David Ortiz, who he picked up for a buck, I think just for fun.

The report can also be found on Tableau Public.


No comments:

Post a Comment